Thursday, 14 May 2015

Personal Injury Claim - Hit and Run

A hit and run on celebrity Actor Ryan Reynolds has recently made headlines causing many to ask ...can I make a personal injury claim for hit and run injuries?

Being left to suffer after a hit and run can leave many feeling both frustrated and helpless, especially if the accident has left you with an injury. If you failed to get the details of the driver, you may still be entitled to compensation for your injury and any loss suffered.

The procedure for making a claim will depend on:
  • whether the driver is traced by police following the accident
  • whether the driver was insured at the time of the accident

A 'normal' personal injury claim can be made if the driver responsible is traced and holds a valid insurance. However, if the driver is traced but fails to hold valid insurance your chosen solicitor will be able to assist you with making a claim to the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) under the Uninsured Driver Scheme.

If the driver responsible is unable to be traced, the MIB may still be able to assist you with your claim. The MIB is designed to help deal with claims from the innocent who have suffered an injury or damage to their property as a result of an uninsured or untraced driver. Before making a claim, it essential that you seek expert legal advice from a solicitor as procedures involving the MIB can be complex.

Gathering any evidence relating to your accident will also help to strengthen and support your case, especially if the driver responsible does not have insurance. With hit and run accidents, it is unlikely that you will be able to get the drivers name and address, however it would be an added advantage if you could remember the following details:

  • vehicle model
  • registration number
  • details of damage to your vehicle
  • photographs
  • witness details
It is important to note that if you have been involved in an accident, that you ask for the other driver's insurance details. If the other driver has fled or refuses to give over insurance details, you should report the accident to police within 5 days.

Claims to the MIB can only be made once the police and your insurance company have attempted to find the driver responsible. Therefore, it is extremely important that the accident gets reported to the police.

If you have been hit and injured by an uninsured or untraceable driver, Acorn Law can help you claim the compensation you deserve. Find out more at or call 0845 602 6938 to speak with an advisor.

No comments:

Post a Comment